Friday, December 5, 2008

Carry your Cross




"Then Jesus said to His disciples, 'If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross, and follow Me.'"

Matthew 16:24



It seems difficult to read such a statement.
Immediately what is brought to my mind are the daily struggles I face each day.




Which indeed are miniscule compared to what they could be!



The battle of time. I move from caring for the kids, to caring for the home to preparing meals, washing dishes, folding laundry and calculating finances.

When I am always asking... when is there time for me!

To read a book (on parenting none the less!) or go for a walk or simply...wash my face!



And yet these beautiful faces are always there. Looking up to me beckoning me to take up my cross and follow after Him!

The daily grind of dog hair and unending dishes. Diapers and water on the bathroom floor. No showers and temper tantrums...these are my daily crosses that I have been called to bear.

What a beautiful family God has given me to care for!



A wonderful godly husband and two beautiful children. More and More I must learn to deny myself, my needs and my wants to serve my family. The world preaches a much different message. The world tells us to look out for number one... which is you. The magazines, the self help books, the popular talk show hosts, they all preach self preservation.

But imagine the impact this will have on our families, if we are all looking out for number one? One thing I have learned recently is that conflict is sure to come when we demand our rights. But peace comes when we surrender and trust God to provide our needs.



Yes, The Lord of This Advent Season proclaims~ you've got to deny yourself if you are to follow me.

This is no easy task. (Even now, I feel guilt ridden because my husband is in bed alone reading star wars while I am typing on the computer!) I find myself each day at some point carrying my cross but grumbling and complaining all the while so that those around me must suffer too.

But this is not the cross Christ has called us to carry. If we are to carry His Cross, then it is requisite that we do so with a willing spirit. Yea, readily and gladly we must embrace the Cross He has given us to bear. For it is a glad heart that brings Him joy!

Thank You Lord for The Cross You Carried. Please help me to bear my cross each day with joy as an act of worship & service unto Thee.

"Then Mary said, 'Behold the maidservant of The Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.' And the angel departed from her."

Luke 1:38